So I’m clearly not the first person to theme drinks around Game of Thrones, there are fairly extensive lists on line, I particularly like this one.
However we thought it might be fun to try to mix our own inspired by the books or the show; a nice accompaniment to each episode of the new series!
For week number one we adapted the well known Moscow Mule (delicious in it’s original form). As the book series is named A Song of Ice and Fire I thought we could boost the “fire” element from just ginger to adding chilli. I guess the ice component is a little bit of a cop out as we just served it over ice.
4 shots of vodka (I used Absolut)
3 shots Triple Sec (I used Cointreau)
1 can ginger ale
2 limes (I used Haitian limes which are tiny! so I used 5)
2 small relatively hot chillies (I used Haitian pikliz, these are hot enough for me but I think the quantity and infusion time really depends on your palate)
- Half and de-seed the chillies
- Infuse in the vodka for several hours to overnight (a bartender fried recommended overnight but I didn’t have enough time, I did 7 hours, half of which at room temperature and the second half in the freezer)
- Juice 1 1/2 limes and cut the other half into 3 wedges
- Remove the chillies from the vodka
- Combine the vodka, triple sec, lime juice and ginger ale; if you have a cocktail shaker now’s the time to use it, probably with some ice (I used a spoon…)
- Pour over ice and garnish with a lime wedge
Alas I did not take a photo.
For me this was the perfect amount of chilli but you could play about with the quantity and infusion and also consider using the chillies in the garnish if you like it extra hot.
I think this drink could really do with more ginger so the next time I make it I will be using ginger beer instead (non-alcoholic but if you’re feeling really dangerous…) and using some fresh ginger in the garnish.
Feel free to try these alterations and let me know how it works out!